East Arlington is a neighborhood in the eastern part of Arlington. It was settled as early as 1855 by W. M. Dickson, who named it for his hometown of East Arlington England.
The area served mainly agricultural purposes until after World War II when sub urbanization began to take place and families were looking for more space than they could find on the city’s west side.[ii]
In 1951 East Arlington became a municipality before being annexed into the City of Dallas in 1957. The annexation led to job losses due to higher tax rates from Dallas County that made operating businesses difficult because wages would not be enough to cover overhead costs such as taxes and supplies.There are still some remnants left from this time period.