Cainhoy is a small town in Berkeley County, South Carolina that has existed since the early 1800s. It was originally known as Cainhoit’s Place and grew to be one of the largest towns north of Charleston.
The name “Cainhoy” comes from either an Indian word meaning “a good place to grow potatoes” or more likely originates from a French word for potato; la chou.
The first settlement at what became Cainhoy started around 1725 when German immigrant Georg Wilhelm Klein established his plantation on Mill Creek near where it enters into Goose Creek River about 12 miles northeast of present-day Moncks Corner (Berkeley County).
In 1808 Gottlieb Herholdt, a German, purchased the land of Klein and renamed it to Cainhoit’s Place.